Friday, June 18, 2010

Old and New Friends

So I've gone to institute the last 2 Thursdays and LOVED it. I have a seminary teacher for an institute teacher and OH MAN! Do I miss Brother W. This guy is great, but he's makin' me homesick! He tells corny jokes, jumps around the room when he gets excited about something, asks provoking questions, emphasizes the spiritual moments, and I swear he sees right through me (although I know he really doesn't. And therefore has NO CLUE who I am). All the makings of a great seminary teacher.

At institute last week, I ran into one of my college friends' little sisters. She came up for something once and stayed in our apartment (instead of the yucky boys') ;c). This week, I ran into (or more like she recognized me, which still boggles my mind, because she even remembers how to spell my first name right, which is obviously a task. I'm impressed she can pick me out of a crowd at all!) my old kindergarten/ 6th grade friend (we had kindergarten together, then went to different grade schools, and then our schools re-combined for middle school... and THEN I moved).

I'm also making new friends. Last week, I brought a girl from the singles ward along with me. We met because her boyfriend said something about me and she thought I sounded like a good person to be friends with. That makes me wonder what was said! But anyway, now we're friends, and went to institute last Thursday, and one of her friends was there. She didn't come this week, but he did. And he kept coming up and talking to me. And I know I should be nice, but I also don't want to be too nice to him, because I've done that before, and it doesn't seem to end well. Plus, last week, he asked Tamara out. I promptly walked away while she said, "No, I've got a boyfriend." When I come back, he turns to me and asks ME out! I don't want to be snooty or anything, but even though I'm not dating, I really don't consider myself a SECOND choice. At least I don't want anyone else to consider me a second choice. And I sure don't want to KNOW I was a second choice. And really, I don't even know this kid. And he doesn't know me. What if I was an ax murderer, coming to prey on all the innocent souls who come to Institute? And like I said, I don't want to be rude, and I'm sure the kid had good intentions. But I've been in situations similar to this, and I was nice, and I've lead the poor guy along because I was nice to him. And I can see the exact thing happening here. So... I "forget" to come back to conversations with him. And I DON'T make eye contact. And I don't say anything personal about me. Or give any indication I'm interested in what he has to say. And I hate being like that.

But I'm still trying to make other new friends, too. Not doing so hot at it. It would probably help if I went to the local institute instead of the one in the city. But I didn't know there was a local one until I'd already signed up for this one. Maybe next season. Or maybe I'll crash a few of the local ones just to get an idea of who comes to them. Since I bet I know SOMEONE here. Tamara switched over to the local one. Maybe her bf Gail comes to them, too.

And aside from institute, I've discovered an old high school friend! She sent me an email. Cyberspace makes our world very small. We used to sit in the seminary building before school and eavesdrop on Brother W's early-morning class. That man changed the world, I tell ya.

3 comments:

  1. Hi old high school friend! (Well, I hope you are talking about me :) ) Your blog isn't showing up on my blogroll, so I'm going to try to stop following you, and then follow again. I just wanted to let you know just in case I get lost. It's fun to be back in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Glad it worked. Wonder if any other people are having problems with it, too.

    ReplyDelete