Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's Not Fair: Gratitude Challenge 16th

I have ... an acquaintance who is sooo caught up in whether or not things are fair that she's frequently grumpy, rarely happy, and always frustrated. Before, she's directed this frustration towards others, and I guess it's finally my turn. And I'm glad it's my turn, because her influence was starting to wear off onto me, and I was frustrated by that (ironic. Frustrated by frustration). But now that I have a chance to step back, I have come to this conclusion:

If you're caught up in what's fair or not, no one ever reaches their potential. You don't because you just stop working. Others don't because you're holding them back. And life becomes miserable. You stop noticing the beauty and the good in others and only realize what they're NOT doing. How they fall short, and how you're better than they are. You become proud and place yourself above the rest. You frustrate everyone else because they will never be able to reach your standards because you will keep raising the bar. And they're sick of your whining. You ostracize yourself until you have no real friends, because they're not good enough for you anyway, and then you realize that you're lonely and have no one else to blame. You become unteachable. You start to feel like you know everything, and that no one knows more than you do. And, you're never happy.

Well, I don't want this for my life. I enjoy helping others reach their potential and I hope they help me reach mine. I want to see the beauty around me and the good in others. I want to be humble. I want to be friends with others, and I hope I don't annoy them. I want to be surrounded by real friends. I want to be teachable. And most of all, I want to be happy.

I realize that sometimes life just isn't fair. And that's okay. It'll work itself out in the end. Sometimes things aren't the way I think they should be, but I think it's time for me to stop worrying about everything and everyone else, and just work on me. I think I will like the results a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment