Monday, November 8, 2010

Little Girls Who Know Everything: Gratitude Challenge

I was taking B to school on Friday, and just listening to her talk. I love listening to her. I admit sometimes I'm impatient and too busy or distracted, or just forget to listen. But when I rediscover my daughter and her thoughts, I am often sorry for the time I missed. Friday was one of those days. She's so wise and logical in a way that doesn't often make sense to the rest of the world. The observations she comes up with just astound me sometimes. I'm sure every little kid goes through this stage, and I cherish it.

On the way to school, I learned that God lives in a spaceship in space. That B's friends are going to get married because they think that each other is funny, and that B's gonna marry one of her good friends because he asked her to. But that he's silly because he follows her around. "But that's okay." I learned that B hasn't watched TV things for "twenty five years," even though she watched it the night before. I guess 25 years goes a lot faster than I thought... Actually, I guess I already knew that. I learned that B spells her name "5" and that black is a girl color and that the leaves fall from the trees because they're scared of snow. 

I'm often reminded, while listening to my daughter, of Lucy from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

LUCY: And way up there, the little stars and planets, make the rain that falls in showers. And when its cold and winter is upon us, the snow comes up, just like the flowers. 
CB: Now, Lucy, I know that's wrong. Snow doesn't come up, it comes down. 
LUCY: After it comes up, the wind blows it around so it looks like it's coming down but actually it comes up out of the ground- like grass. It comes up, Charlie Brown, snow comes up.
I took her to see this play a few years ago, and she LOVED it. Some kids don't do well sitting for so long, but she eats it up. She could watch plays for hours, and we often go to see the local high school preform them.  When she saw this part, she was so outraged that Lucy would tell people that the snow comes up, because she knew for a fact that it came down and shouted it at the top of her lungs. Everyone got a good laugh that a real 3-year-old was telling a pretend 5-year-old what she thought of such an outrageous assumption! And now she's just like that! It makes me smile every day, and it's a memory I'll treasure forever.

1 comment:

  1. That's very sweet. You're a very lucky mom. Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am too.

    ReplyDelete