Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why My Mother Doesn't Let Me Take Pictures...

It's an inside joke at my house that cameras hate me. And I believe it. I'm wondering if I had a better camera if it would fix the problem (mine's really not that good, but it was given to me and I'm glad I have it because I was having to use my cell phone), but I am starting to wonder if it really IS all me. I know part of the problem is that I jerk every time I take pictures (I need to build up the muscles in my arms, I think...), but other than that, I have no idea.

So, you think I'm over-exaggerating? Let me show you...

Attempt #1
Overexposure. I assumed this meant there's too much flash. A COMMON problem with my camera.

Attempt # 2

So I turned the flash off. That should solve the problem, right? But whenever I turn the flash off, my camera wont focus! Gah! I try it anyway.

Attempt #3



And then I think, well, maybe if I just hold really still.... And it's still blurry.

Attempt #4



So I turn the flash back on, and once again, it's over-exposed.

Attempt #5 


So I resort to holding still again. And it's at least KINDA in focus... sorta.

Attempt #6


So I try to come up with a solution, like maybe if I put my finger over the flash it'll diffuse it a little. This is funny. You know how when you hold your hand up to a flashlight, it's red? Same effect. 

Attempt #7


With flash again, but this time I taped a piece of paper over the flash. I must admit this is the best by far. But there's gotta be SOME sort of solution...

Attempt #8


I'm about to give up. Maybe just one more...

Attempt # 9

Attempt # Am I done yet?


well, this isnt my favorite picture, It's not very well presented. My mice are MUCH cuter. There's gotta  be a way to capture it's cuteness. Bakerella does it, I should be able to. Maybe if I get a front view...

Attempt # I've lost count...


And again with the out of focus thing!

Attempt # Frustrated beyond reason


Fine. I'll take it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Miss K!

    Turning off the flash is the first step, but then you've got to set your object in some good natural light. I like taking shop pictures on our kitchen table where we get sun coming in the back doors from the north. It's not direct sunlight, as that'll wash out the picture just like a flash will, but the sun is high in the sky over my house and the light from the bright backyard comes in.

    I still struggle with indoor shots because I don't have a good flash that points at the ceiling. I can, however, take pictures at night or on cloudy days inside using my makeshift lightbox. I have one like this: http://makingitlovely.com/2008/10/16/faq-product-photography-part-two/ I always need to tweak the color a bit after I use the light box but it's still tons better than trying to photograph something on my bedroom floor at 9pm!

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I understand how you feel. This is part of the reason why I didn't pass out Christmas cards this year!

    ReplyDelete