Monday, January 21, 2013

Getting the Boot

After being sick of getting snow in my shoes all week, I finally broke down and went in search of a cute pair of fashion boots. The problem is...  I have no idea on what's appropriate in boot style. I'm clueless. There's a reason I've always walked down the shoe aisles and sighed longingly. I've always been too chicken to take the fashion risk that is boots. I've always hid my fear in calling them "hooker boots."

But I really could use something besides open-toed heals and ballet flats. And I've had two Kohls gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. So, since I had some free time in town today, I went boot shopping. And I couldn't make up my mind, and wasn't sure if either was "acceptable," so I came home with TWO pairs of boots.

So.... Can someone please help educate me? What are the do's and don'ts of boots?

First of all, I don't own skinny jeans. I've got short chicken legs. And I'm a mom. I just don't feel like skinny jeans are the answer. In the picture, I've got straight-leg, otherwise, I've got bootcut. So although the style is to wear them on the outside, right now, I don't know how well that works. I think feasible on the brown pair,  but tacky on the black pair. Thoughts?

Boot education.Boot education.

(For the record  I've vacuumed up the tinsel on the ground more than once... stubborn tinsel.)

As far as wearing the pants on the outside, I think the brown pair looks too cowboy boot-ish. But I've always been too chicken to wear heals and jeans. Even though I've longed of being bold enough. But we're making progress... I bought healed boots.

Boot education.
Boot education.
Do black boots go with brown?

Boot education.
Boot education.

Do brown boots go with black?

Boot education.
Boot education.

And is there a certain length of dress that is a must for a boot (pretend I'm wearing nylons... or at least didn't have distractingly white legs)?
Boot education.
Boot education.
Boot education.
Boot education.
   

Lastly, if I were only to keep one pair, which is the  better pair to keep, noting some of the basics of my wardrobe? 

3 comments:

  1. I would love to pretend that I'm an expert in this area, but I'm pretty clueless. I just got my first pair of boots too! But here are some of my opinions. . . . first of all, you can definitely wear skinny jeans! And they definitely work best for boots. But I think your strait leg jeans work great too! I love the brown ones if you decide to just keep one. Just got for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just bought my first pair of boots too! Although I've been ogling them for quite some time now...my inexpert opinion is this: Boots look best with shorter skirts so that the whole boot can be seen, but that doesn't stop me from wearing longer skirts with my boots. I don't own any skinny jeans and honestly, I'm just now warming up to the skinny jean fad. I think regular jeans folded and tucked just right into boots looks just fine. I do straight legs and boot cuts each tucked into my boots. I just fold them up tight and secure them into place with my long socks so they hug my leg as tightly as possible without looking bunchy and messy and then escaping. I agree with you, the pants outside of the brown boots looks cowgirl/farmer-ish, but I'm into that look personally so I think it looks great like that. And the jeans over the black boots look fantastic as well. I think black should go with black and brown with brown, never mis-matching, but that's just me. I don't know what the "rules" are. And if I had to pick based on looks alone, I like your black boots best, but the brown ones look more comfy and both are super cute. There. My uneducated opinion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that black and brown are both netrals so you can were them together. My own opinion, I have seen it were I think it works and also were I didn't think it worked. I think the brown boots looked fine with the jeans tucked but I didn't care for the way the black looked with the jeans tucked. Of course this is all coming from a woman who doesn't own a pair of boots. I have never found a pair that fit my foot and my calf.

    ReplyDelete